|September 17 , 2012|
From the ISS University Advising Office - Newsletter 5.0
On Thursday, September 20, the high school students will be rehearsing at Singapore Polytechnic Convention Centre for their UN Night performances. During their lunch break, from 12 to 1pm, ISS will be hosting a mini-university fair. The institutions and agencies coming to the fair are listed below. Parents are welcome to come talk with any of the representatives.
ISS MINI-UNIVERSITY FAIR
1. The University of California Los Angeles UCLA is high-ranking university in Los Angeles. They offer more than 120 majors but are most famous for music, engineering, political science, economics, psychology, biology and film/television.
2. Saint Mary's College of California SMC is located near San Francisco. They are a Catholic college, but welcome students of all faiths. If you want to be near a big city but are concerned with safety, their campus is very secure. It occupies a tiny valley, and most students live on campus. They offer a wide variety of majors, including business, kinesiology (sports science), performing arts and environmental science. They also offer generous scholarships to high-achieving students.
3. Drexel University Drexel is located in Philadelphia, USA. It is know for its co-op programs that combine study with paying-job opportunities. They are especially strong in engineering, graphic design, film and video, architecture, computer science, and business.
4. Hampshire College There are no grades at Hampshire College. Instead, professors give students written evaluations. They offer many areas of study but are especially strong in environmental studies / sustainability, film, cognitive science, creative writing, natural science, history, human health, and agriculture. They are located in Massachusetts, USA.
5. Boston University Boston University, USA, is one of America's largest private universities. It has an urban campus and "is an integral part of the city it calls home." They offer a wide variety of majors, but are especially strong in communications, management, biomedical engineering, natural sciences, psychology, international relations, and the fine arts.
6. Swiss Education Group SEG represents five Swiss hotel schools: César Ritz Hospitality College Switzerland, Culinary Institute Switzerland, International School of Hotel Management, Hotel Institute Montreux, and Swiss Hotel Management School. These schools offer diplomas and degrees in the culinary arts, hotel and restaurant management, tourism management, and other hospitality related fields.
7. Digipen Institute of Technology Digipen is the world's first college to offer a bachelor's degree program dedicated to game development. They offer degrees in digital art and animation, computer science in real-time interactive simulation, and game design. They have twin campuses--one in Singapore and one in the US near the Microsoft headquarters. A representative from the Singapore campus will be at our mini-fair.
8. Hui and Kuah Associates Hui and Kuah represent a large number of universities from around the world, including 24 Australian universities such as the University of Adelaide, Monash University, University of Sydney, and University of Western Australia. Students who are not citizens of Australia or New Zealand can apply to Australian universities through Hui and Kuah. They offer the same free services IDP Education offers. Please see their website for a complete list of colleges and universities.
9. Singapore Institute of Management SIM is located in Singapore. They offer degrees through their partners in the UK, US, and Australia. Most of their degrees are related to business, accounting, computer science and psychology. Please see their website for a complete list of degrees offered.
UPCOMING UNIVERSITY VISITS
The following universities will be visiting ISS in the next three weeks: University of Southern California, USA (September 27); WPI, USA (October 1); University of Toronto, Canada (October 1); Miami University-Ohio, USA (October 2); University of Oregon, USA (October 2); University of Connecticut, USA (October 2); University of Minnesota, USA (October 2); Carleton University, Canada (October 5); Dalhousie University, Canada (October 5); Trent University, Canada (October 5); and University of Calgary, Canada (October 5). More details will be coming in the next newsletter.
Study in the US – The AEO American University Fair will be held on Saturday, September 15 from 12:00pm to 4:00pm in the Pacific Ballroom at the Pan Pacific Hotel at Marina Square. A large number of American universities will be represented, including Wichita State University, which is famous for Aerospace Engineering. They are home to the National institute of Aviation Research. A YouTube video on Wichita State can be found at http://youtu.be/HAKvEueA_0A.
Study in Europe Education Fair will be held on Saturday, September 15 from 9:30am to 5:30pm in the Grand Ballroom of the Hilton Hotel, 581 Orchard Road. The fair will cover the following countries: The Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Ireland, France, Finland, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy and the United Kingdom. A schedule for the fair can be found at www.studyineurope.sg
St. George’s University School of Medicine (Grenada) – Information session for all interested students and parents on Monday, September 17, 7:00 to 8:30PM, at Harbour View 5, Level 3, Mandarin Oriental Singapore, Marina Square. University Representatives will discuss their Medicine and Veterinary Medicine Programs. If you are interested in attending the presentation, you can register by e-mailing Farrah Halim at email@example.com or by calling her at +603 22878080. More information can be found at www.sgu.edu.
University of Melbourne (Australia)—Virtual Fairs for international Students from Monday, September 24 to Tuesday, September 25. All you need is a computer and an Internet connection. For more information, please see their website: http://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/explore/events/virtual-fair.
INTERNAL ISS DEADLINES
For UCAS applications to Oxford, Cambridge or Medicine / Dentistry / Veterinary Science programmes - Friday, September 21
For US Early Decision or Early Action applications: Monday, October 1
For UCAS applications: Monday, October 29
For US Regular decision applications: Monday, October 29
Do you love food? You may want to consider a career in Food Science and Technology. Food Scientists are in demand in many countries. The Institute of Food Technologists website lists a number of undergraduate programs in North America, South America, New Zealand and Asia that meet their strict requirements.
Love food but not science? Have a look at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, USA. They have a strong program in Food Marketing that can prepare you for careers in food retailing management, advertising, and brand management. Their program combines studying with paid employment in food industries.